Important information on museum visits at the Fondation Beyeler from Monday, 11 May 2020
The slumber is finally over! The Fondation Beyeler is open again every day at the usual times. We look forward to welcoming you back and showing you the artworks on display. We are delighted to say that our «Edward Hopper» exhibition is being extended in its entirety until July 26, thanks to the generous consent of our cooperation partners, the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York and the other American lenders to the show. The current presentation of the collection, «Silent Vision – Images of Calm and Quiet» likewise remains on display.
Visitor and staff safety is our first priority
Now as ever, the safety of our visitors and employees remains our first priority. The Fondation Beyeler has therefore drawn up a comprehensive safety plan that takes into account the Swiss Federal Council’s Covid-19 Ordinances. In order to make your visit to the museum as enjoyable as possible in these challenging times, we have introduced the following measures to optimise visitor flow:
- Beginning on 11 May, the Fondation Beyeler will once again open daily: Monday to Sunday 10am–6pm, Wednesday 10am–8pm.
Purchase of timed tickets from the Fondation Beyeler’s online shop for visits from 11 May:
For current exhibitions, our ticketing system has been changed to timed tickets. From now on, all admission tickets are tied to a specific date and time (chosen freely by visitors according to availabilities). This measure allows us to optimise visitor flow and keep waiting times to a minimum.
Please book your tickets online via www.fondationbeyeler.ch/tickets and select a time slot. Only a limited number of tickets are available on site at the museum ticket desk. Arriving more than 30 minutes late with an online ticket or purchasing a ticket on site may involve waiting times.
You have already purchased an online ticket, you have received a voucher or you hold a membership that would normally allow you to access the museum freely?
Before visiting, you must also book a timed ticket online by purchasing a «0 CHF ticket». The «0 CHF ticket» is valid only in conjunction with your other documentary proof of free access; both must be presented at the museum entrance.
You hold a membership or other that grants you reduced-rate admission?
Please also purchase a «0 CHF ticket» and then buy your reduced-rate ticket on site at the museum admission desk.
Access / Transportation:
- The Fondation Beyeler can be reached directly by public transport (tram 6, station “Fondation Beyeler”). The car park is open for visitors travelling by car. Bicycle parking space is available on Bachtelenweg.
Entrance, cloakroom, information desk and exit:
- Beginning Monday, 11 May, the entrance to the Fondation Beyeler will be located across from no. 3 Bachtelenweg. From there you will access the new cloakroom, located in a museum outbuilding. In bad weather, umbrellas and disposable gloves will be provided. A staffed information desk is available to answer visitor queries. As usual, keep going past the restaurant and across the gravel path to the museum entrance. Inside, signposts will guide you through the «Edward Hopper» exhibition.
- The exit is now located on the museum’s western front. Exit through the winter garden into the park, go past the pavilion and the Calder sculpture, back to the cloakroom and the restaurant. You will exit the museum premises through the large gate located across from the villa that houses the Restaurant Beyeler im Park.
- Hand sanitiser dispensers are available for visitors and employees in several key locations in the museum, the restaurant and the park.
- Distance markings and signposts in the park and in the museum define a route that ensures optimal visitor flow.
- Museum employees working in direct contact with visitors and unable to keep the minimum distance of 2 metres will wear hygiene masks or face shields; alternatively, plexiglass panes may be set up to protect visitors and employees.
- Additional toilet facilities have been installed in the museum.
- Additional cleaning and hygiene measures have been implemented for all the museum’s infrastructures.
- The art shop located in the museum lobby is open.
- Where possible, please use cashless means of payment.
- In order to meet hygiene requirements, checkout tills are fitted with plexiglass panes.
- Audio guides are currently not available.
- Access to the Art Shop is only possible with an admission ticket and a valid time slot.
Restaurant and park
The Restaurant Beyeler im Park will open from Monday, 11 May, with a self-service offer in compliance with the Swiss Federal Council’s guidelines for catering establishments. Seating is provided primarily on the terrace, as prescribed protective measures strongly limit the number of available tables inside.
Events and guided tours:
The Fondation Beyeler has cancelled all events and guided tours until further notice. Our website provides regular updates on our guided tour schedule. Our digital programme will be maintained in the weeks to come; more information is available on:
In keeping with safety and precautionary measures, the screening space for Wim Wenders’ 3D short film Two or Three Things I Know about Edward Hopper will remain closed until further notice.
These guidelines will be adapted continuously according to the ordinances of the Swiss Federal Council and the Health Department of Basel-City.
In the interest of all visitors and staff, the Fondation Beyeler has drawn up a comprehensive safety plan that takes account of the Covid 19 Ordinances of the Swiss Federal Council. More detailed information of the plan can be found here: