1901, Borgonovo, nr. Stampa (Switzerland) – 1966, Chur
The Swiss sculptor, painter and printmaker studied art in Geneva and Paris. By the end of the 1920s he had begun making his first Surrealist sculptures. In the mid-1930s he shifted away from Surrealism and spent the period up to 1945 exploring new forms of representing the figure’s relation to space, a process which was also influenced by his friendship with Picasso and Jean-Paul Sartre. In 1950 his first one-man retrospective was held in Basel. He was first invited to show work at the Venice Biennale in 1956 in the French Pavilion; for his second participation in Venice in 1962 he was awarded the Grand Prize for Sculpture. Further awards he received include the Sculpture Prize at the Carnegie International, Pittsburgh (1961), the New York Guggenheim Prize for Painting (1964) and an honorary doctorate from the University of Bern (1965).