1891, Druskininkai (Lithuania, then part of Russia) – 1973, Capri
The Russian-born French sculptor began studying art in 1909 at the École des Beaux-Arts and the Académie Julian in Paris, where his encounter with Picasso and other members of the Cubist circle had a profound impact on his work. His first Cubist sculptures from around 1913 were followed by works carved in stone in the period up to 1925, in which figures and heads were reduced to simple, block-like forms and partly rendered in colour. In 1925 Lipchitz began working on a series of “transparent”, open-spaced sculptures using the ‘lost-wax’ technique, thereby distancing himself from the formal idiom of Cubism. His angular structures gave way to an unconstrained sculptural style, expressed in the free play of natural shapes that assumed an increasingly organic appearance. When Paris was occupied by German troops in 1940, Lipchitz fled to Toulouse and from there he emigrated to New York. The artist twice participated in the documenta in Kassel (1959 and 1964).